Saturday, January 22, 2011

Poor Man's Caviar


For NYE I took this dip. Now my photos looks nothing like the grand photo from where I stole the recipe from...check here for the original

As I'm scrambling through the grocery store really wanting this dip, I frantically text Jenwilli to ask her since I know she knows it by heart and she sends me the ingredients.


Poor Man’s Caviar Dip

1 14-ounce can of black beans, rinsed and drained
1 15.5-ounce can black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
1 14-ounce can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
2 cups cooked corn or 1 15-ounce can white corn, drained
1 cup finely chopped sweet onion
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
1/3 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh basil

1/3 cup olive oil
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard powder
3 shakes hot sauce

Combine all the beans, the corn, the onion, the garlic, and the herbs in a large bowl, and set aside.

In a seal-able container, combine the olive oil, vinegar, salt, pepper, mustard, and hot sauce. Seal and shake vigorously until completely combined. Pour the dressing over the bean mixture. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours, preferably overnight, before serving so that all the flavors can meld. Serve with tortilla chips (or just a spoon). Enjoy!!

Thanks Jenwilli and Ellie for a great recipe!

1 comment: