Saturday, November 24, 2012

Is Your Babysitter Prepared?

Tonight may have been my last babysitting job ever. I have never been so scared...

I was keeping K and she is 1.6 years old. I have kept her many times. To my cheek she felt warm, but I have always said I'm not good at that since I'm not a mama yet.

Within ten minutes K was having a febrile seizure. My hands shook uncontrollably when she wouldn't respond to me, was staring at the wall, and I was calling K's mom on my cell, and 911 from the house phone. Fast forward an hour K is doing fine, she had a unknown ear infection that caused her fever to spike and the seizure to happen. She is home now, and hopefully sleeping.

I on the other hand could have sprinted home from the ER. My adrenaline is still pumping, however I'm trying to alleviate that with wine.

So now I'm going to give you unsolicited advice! These things made this or could have made this awful event less stressful.

1. Have a house phone, even if it's not serviced you can still dial 911. (I think)

2. Make sure your sitter knows how to use your thermometer. I am old, and used plenty of forehead scanners at school, however I never had to take the clear cap off. DUH. Thankfully there was a back up digital so I put it under her arm.

3. Have a list of facts on the cabinet, inside or out in the kitchen. Full name, DOB, allergies, prior surgeries, parent's names, contact numbers, pediatrician info, home address. This way I was able to give the addy quickly, and without running to the mailbox and street sign. Also I sent the firefighter there to get info, as I sat holding K. This would be helpful for a parent too, when you are panicked you just don't think clearly.

I envisioned this being a lot longer...I'll add more when I think of it.
Oh right!

4. Make sure your sitter's phone is charged. Better yet, make her bring the charger...if she didn't charge it last night (like me) or in case your house is one of the those areas that her cell service doesn't work fabulously. I babysit at one house, very close to town, where my cell doesn't work well, and it drains the battery searching for a signal.

5. Tell her your hospital choice and the best route to get there!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Amy. Similar to what happened to Aiden when his temp spiked. Between that and Henry, scary couple of days with kiddies. I'm sure that was tough.

    Great tips.

    ReplyDelete