Monday, April 7, 2008

Sauteed Swiss Chard



At the grocery the cashiers had no clue what it was, or how to code it. When I said Swiss Chard, they still didn't know. My Mama happened to be with me, and she kept saying if these people don't know what it is, you shouldn't eat it! So they had to call the pro from the back (which ended up being Dennis, my good friend's brother) and he cut me a deal!

But isn't it pretty? More importantly it lowers your blood pressure!

Here we go:

Some garlic
A touch of EVOO
A bunch of Swiss chard, well-washed and spun dry, hot pink coarse stems discarded
Salt and pepper to taste

Heat EVOO in large skillet over medium-high until hot.
Add garlic and saute about 30 sec. Remove garlic.
Add Swiss chard to oil and saute for 3 minutes, flip and saute 2 more minutes. The chard should be wilted by still bright green. This is kinda like spinach
Season with salt and pepper, toss in garlic and serve.

This had such great flavor. I used 2 teaspoons of EVOO, but it was too much. So next time I will use less.

I adapted this from SHAPE magazine Feb 2008.

No comments:

Post a Comment