Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Canine Good Citizen Program

http://www.akc.org/events/cgc/training_testing.cfm
I got this idea from nestie Sama1981. Thanks!
Wow we have a lot of work to do. I'm saying this as I was just on my butt while walking Jade and Behr. We cut through some bushes and I wasn't watching that they were focused on a cat right in front of us.

Here are the items:
Test 1: Accepting a friendly stranger
Test 2: Sitting politely for petting (we've got this one!)
Test 3: Appearance and grooming (teeth, ears, brushing, FEET!)
Test 4: Walking on a loosh lead
Test 5: Walking through a crowd (Behr hates this one)
Test 6: Sit and Down on command and Stay in place
Test 7: Coming when called (uhhh, Jade this way)
Test 8: Reacting to another dog
Test 9: Reacting to distraction (please don't let the distraction be a cat)
Test 10: Supervised separation (this means I ask you to hold my dog and I walk out of sight for 3 minutes and the dog is suppose to sit and not pull....anyone want to be my guinea pig?)

The link above shows all the rules and what is and isn't acceptable. We have so much work to do. Thankfully the test is done with one dog not both. I feel like so many of these things I'm going to do I'll have to ask people in the street to practice these things, because it's all about a stranger doing these things, not us.

1 comment:

  1. We got our beautiful little dog from the pound and he is a delight. He is eleven years old now and four years ago when this little cat appeared in our yard, he just fell in love with her. She had kittens, and we kept them all. Solo, my little dog, acts like their Daddy and lets them walk all over him. They chase him and he chases them..well they actually race each other to the door when they are plaing outside. The cats always win...LOL They are four years old now and the loves of his life.

    ReplyDelete